Learning about a new country can be exciting, especially if you’re learning some fun and interesting facts along the way! Though small, South Korea is a very diverse and interesting country. Here are some interesting tidbits that might make you want to go to Korea to discover more fun facts on your own!
1. 20% of Koreans share the same surname. The most common last name is Kim, followed by Lee, then Park.
2. South Korea has the highest rate of plastic surgeries per capita in the world.
3. Double eyelid surgery is one of the most common surgical procedures performed in South Korea.
4. Before the age of thirty, men must commit to 21–24 months of military service, even if they are a celebrity.
5. The 2018 Winter Olympics were held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
6. Most fast food in Korea can be delivered right to your door so you don’t have to go to the store itself! Many places will also come and pick up the dishes when you’re done, making ordering food extremely fast and convenient.
7. Jjajangmyeon is one of the most popular dishes in Korea. More than seven million bowls are served every day!
8. Soju is the most popular type of alcohol in Korea with an alcohol content ranging anywhere from ~20%–40% for most bottles.
9. There are more than 200 different kinds of kimchi in Korea including regular kimchi with napa cabbage, cubed radish kimchi, and even cucumber kimchi.
11. More than 90% of the world’s seaweed consumption comes from Korea.
12. Seaweed soup is a very popular dish that is usually eaten on birthdays.
13. On Valentine’s Day, women give chocolates and gifts to their husbands or boyfriends to show their love.
14. White Day, March 14, is when men give gifts to their girlfriends and wives—with data showing that they typically spend about three times as much as they received on Valentine’s Day.
15. Black Day, April 14, is when singles come together to “mourn” the fact that they are single by eating bowls of jjajangmyeon.
View this post on Instagram
Happy Black Day to all my single ladies and gentlemens. It's Black Day in Korea! So get All your single friends together and have some Jjajangmyeon (black noodles) together and dress in your favorite black outfit to celebrate or mourn being single....LOL!!! #single #singlegirl #singleladylife #koreanblackday #linhinthecity
16. South Korea is about the same size as Indiana, United States.
17. About 63% of South Korea is covered in forest.
18. There are more than 3000 islands around South Korea, with Jeju being the biggest.
19. The tallest building in South Korea is the Lotte World Tower in Seoul. It is also the fifth tallest building in the world.
20. Approximately 9.7 million people live in Seoul.
21. South Korea has the second lowest percentage of obese citizens, following Japan.
22. The internet in Korea is very fast, arguably the fastest in the world. Their internet is so fast that they are able to have many internet cafes, where people can go and play video games.
23. Because the internet is so fast, cyber sports are a big deal in South Korea! Stadiums of big-screen TVs are used for the competitions.
24. You are already one year old when you are born, and foreigners have a hard time grasping the concept.
25. Taekwondo is one of the most popular sports in Korea!
These are only some of the most interesting facts about Korea, an ever-growing place with tons of different life experiences.
Did you learn something new? Let us know in the comments!