Making a Dalgona candy was one of the challenges you can watch in the series "Squid Game," where the challengers must carve shapes into the thin snacks, and if the cookie breaks, the challenger will be eliminated from the game.
- Component: Dalgona Making Set
How to make a Dalgona candy
Have everything ready before you start.
- Add 1.5 tablespoons of sugar to the ladle. Hold the ladle over low to medium-low heat. When the sugar starts to melt around the edges, stir with a chopstick.
- Continue to stir constantly, controlling the heat. If it starts to smoke, raise the ladle a few inches above the heat, and lower it closer once it cools off a little. Repeat as necessary until the sugar completely melts without any lumps, but let it cool off a little before adding the baking soda.
- Holding the ladle away from the heat, stir in the baking soda.
- Stir quickly and vigorously (about 25 times) until the baking soda is completely dissolved and the frothy mixture turns a light caramel color. While stirring, you can bring the ladle closer to the heat for a short second or two to keep it warm, but don't let it puff up too long. It will burn at the bottom
- Pour the mixture onto a non-stick baking sheet or a skillet, scraping with a rubber spatula. Place the tip of the optional lollipop stick into the mixture.
- Let it cool for 10 to 15 seconds. Then, press it down lightly with the press, lift it a couple of times, and press it to the desired thickness. This helps prevent the dalgona from sticking to the press.
- Immediately, stamp it with a cookie-cutter, firmly but not all the way through. Promptly remove the cutter.